Wednesday, July 14, 2010

CB

Sverre planned a SUH-Weet birthday bonanza weekend in Crested Butte for me - It was really incredibly beautiful. I may or may not have been a little hesitant when I heard the plan on the drive down, sounded like an over-the-quota itinerary seeing as we only had 2 days, but I was not disappointed and I only doubted him once when it started to snow on us at the top, 9 miles in and we weren't sure which turn to take. But alas, his boy scout map reading skills came through once again


We got there and mt. biked the 401 trail, which was amazing. I was thinking about why it is important to me to stay in relatively good shape, and really, it is so I can see places like this, which I couldn't if I wasn't. Sverre and I enjoy mt. biking so much, it makes our marriage better and more adventurous because we are doing something we both love and are able to do it together


State flower - columbine




At 8:00 that night, we started our backpacking trip, 4 miles of hiking in the dark to get to our camp spot and then next day, 14 miles of awesome scenery, some super hard uphills, all to reach the Conundrum hot springs.



We saw a porcupine on the trail. Sverre informed me that porcupines do not shoot their quills, they only break off if an intruder tries to bite it. (I haven't googified that info yet, you never know what a husband will white lie about when he has a bear-scared wife on his hands in the middle of the wilderness in the dark) but that was a comforting peice of wilderness knowledge that I did not know. it almost made me want to pet the now-cute-to-me little critter


Sverre has a serious infatuation with hot springs. I love my husband, but I don't love hot springs. This one was beautiful, but there were still naked people in it, which makes me slightly dry heave that I have to be in the same hot spring as naked strangers. I want to shake some sense into their heads, but I can't because I don't want to get near them.....because they are naked strangers. ps - I know you're wondering. no, sverre is not naked in this picture.




I love seeing new places in CO and Crested Butte did not disappoint, we had a lot of fun celebrating 36 years. I'm thinking I am an official "middle-ager" and it feels great~

Thanks to Tammy Cooper for watching our kids for us.
(Tamarama, if you are reading this, you will NOT think that was funny, but I totally do.)

5 comments:

brittany said...

It was your birthday?? looks like i need to be bringing you a birthday treat.

also, you are a good wife, hiking in the dark. i would have been FREAKED! have i told you my half deer half mountain lion story. who knows what kind of mutated animals i would have seen in the dark.

glad it was a fun weekend for you and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

jhoopes said...

You guys are perfect for each other. Happy birthday! 36 isn't bad--at least you are in good company. :)

Marilee said...

You are NOT afraid of bears in the REAL "afraid of bears" way because people who are REALLY afraid of bears DO NOT hike 4 miles in the dark mountains of Colorado as a CELEBRATION of their birth! Holy cow you are brave! I was driving through the mountains in Canada today and started hyperventalating just thinking of all the bears there must be living in the mountains around me. And I was IN THE CAR!!! You are a brave woman! Happy Birthday! Wish i could have been there to assist "Tammy" with the kids. :-)

The Rambler said...

Looks like a fabulous trip! I love hot springs too, Pagosa (more so colorado is on my list, but it is also a spendy resort- no nakeds)

Elisa said...

Looks so fun! We should go mountain biking together sometime....um, I just realized that I'd probably feel like a total loser if we did that, but I'm willing to put my self-esteem at risk for you. Fun seeing you a couple weeks ago!